Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's in a Name?

Ok, so I finally have started thinking about what the heck to name this baby. For some reason I HAVE NOT been able to think about it yet. Whenever I would, my mind would go completely blank and the only name I could really come up with was "Uhh...."

I have a few "requirements" for the names we are considering. I really like names that have nicknames. That will give the kid options as he/she (who am I kidding? - SHE) grows up. I also want all of our names to fit together. There doesn't need to be a theme or anything like starting with the same letter or Biblical names (not that I have anything against that) - I just want them to sound good together. And then, I prefer part of the name to have some sort of meaning. So far our children's middle names are both family names. We have already decided on Baby #3's middle name - another family name. So, now for the first name...

I think I finally have a few good ideas and I wanted some input. (I can't promise that we're actually going to use any of these names...)

Here are the finalists:
Brooklyn
I have loved this name for a while. She would probably be called Brooke (we planned on calling McKenna Kenna and we totally don't, so who knows...). I think this name is very cute, femine, relatively unique, and I just like it. Brooklyn was actually almost McKenna's name. We changed it 30 minutes before she was born. It also was on our list for Katie, but back then Dave didn't like it so much.

Pros:
I like it
It has a nickname
It fits
It flows with the middle name
Has been on the list for a while

Cons:
Brooklyn rhymes with Katelyn - kind of

Ashlee
This is a recent addition to the list. I just think it is a pretty name. And I have never met an Ashlee that wasn't pretty - not that that means anything, I guess I just associate the name Ashlee with beauty. Again, very feminine name. Not too original, but common enough and classic enough (like Katie) that she wouldn't feel like a fad. Plus, the other night Dave said that this was his favorite out of the three.

Pros:
It's pretty
It fits
It flows with middle name
Dave likes it

Cons:
No solid nickname - Ash? Nickname isn't as pretty as full name, but I guess could work

Elisabeth
Now, this name is quite controversial at the moment. I like this name, but have not ever really considered it for my own child. I don't LOVE the name although I do LOVE quite a few people with this name. But for some reason it keeps coming to my mind lately. I really like the nicknames Libby and Elle (REALLY like Libby - again, a recent development). Dave, however, does not share my enthusiasm. I think he likes the name Elisabeth, but doesn't like Libby or Elle, so he has vetoed the name. I am not giving up so easily though. It is still on my list. And Elisabeth with our chosen middle name flows beautifully and is a very classic, classY name. But, I am concerned mostly with the fact that my husband doesn't like the name, but also the I don't love all the nicknames. I would choose the name because I like Libby, and/or Elle. But I can't control what nicknames my child will be given or will choose.... The spelling is also debatable and still negotiable. I guess I chose an S instead of a Z because it seems softer....? Is that weird? Maybe it wouldn't be worth all the spelling corrections.

Pros:
I like it
It fits
It flows
Classic & Classy
It has many nicknames - I like Libby :)

Cons:
Dave doesn't like it
I don't like all the nicknames
Haven't always loved Elisabeth
Weird spelling?

So, I'm not sure if I'm making any progress with this, but it sure does help me to write it down. If any of you have some input on the subject I would definitely appreciate it. I know we still have 3 months before this baby comes, but history has shown that I definitely struggle in the baby naming department. I can't make up my mind! I can use all the help I can get!

There also is a poll posted if you care to participate...

8 comments:

E and J said...

I voted for Elisabeth cause Dave doesn't like it. j/k

I like that name and the nickname possibilities are endless. Now, don't be fooled, you can control what nickname is used by starting early.

If you choose this one, I promise to call her Libby!

Jason

MommyMert said...

I like all three... however, I have Brooklyn in mind because you have been debating about using it forever. I am a HUGE fan of Elisabeth (one of my all time favs).. however, I dont think I have ever heard Libby as a nickname for it. It works though. Ashlee is fine too. (however, not my personal fav, but will love it if you use it.) Uhh... I havent been help eh? Let the girls name her :) That could be fun. hahahah.

The Wells said...

I am parshal to Elizabeth. And if the middle name is Joy, it really flows nicely. :) The nicknames could be Liz, Betsy, or Betty.

I also like the other two names.

Meg said...

You, of course, are one of the Elizabeth's I love!

Kelly said...

What?! You're not naming her Etta?!!

Kidding of course. My sister-in-law's name is Elizabeth, she goes by Beth...I think that's pretty. Ashlee may be too common I think.

Kathy said...

There are a Brooklyn and a Kaitlyn in our family - nieces on Greg's side. They are sisters, Kaitlyn is the elder - 17 years old, wonderful girl, we often call her Kate. Her little sister Brooklyn is 8 - another wonderful girl. We often call her Brooke, or Brooky. So, having two "lyn"s in the family is not a problem - regardless of full name or nickname.
All three names are great. I'm sure we'll just end up calling her cutie like we do your other girls.

Marianne Hopkin said...

I know you really love the name Brooklyn. You've been talking about it for so long. If you don't use it this time I'm sure it will come up again. (I know a boy named Brook!) I would not worry about having a Kaitlyn and a Brooklyn - in fact I think they sound beautiful together. You could start calling McKenna McKennalyn. And you, Meganlyn. And Baxterlyn. No Davelyn though. I really love the names Ashley and Elisabeth too. You are great at choosing names!
(ps I really really miss you)

Hannah said...

LOVE the nickname Libby. That's the reason that I choose the name out of all of them. When I read that nickname, I decided that name was my favorite.