Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bend It Like Jensen - A Video Diary

Today was Katie's first soccer game ever.
Actually, her first any kind of game ever.
And what a first it was!
We saw both ends of the spectrum emotionally and everything in between.
Luckily we ended the game on a high note and we will be going back next week.

Because Dave is in California and couldn't be there, I am posting LOTS of pictures and video so he doesn't miss out. Watch if you want, but if you're going to watch only one, watch the last.

Katie is the only girl on her team, but I don't think she minds so much.


We're lucky she has such a great coach. The above picture was right after video #3.

Neighborhood friends Darren, Kyle, and Katie.
Feeling pretty good after the game.
Now for the videos:

Here she is warming up with the coach and team.
I had to include this one...I love our GIRL :)

Katie's first time on the field. Is it obvious at all that she has never been on a sports team before? Ok, I admit...she's never even seen a sporting event. You can almost hear her saying to herself "why are you all running around that ball?"

I debated on including this next video - it breaks my heart - but it's vital to the story. It will make the end even more sweet. I really do have to hold back the tears watching this. At the end (about 5 minutes into the game) she breaks down. You'll see. She then came running off the field saying "I can't do it, Mom." {{my heart breaking again just thinking about it}}

And then like a champ (after lots of hugs, tears, water, sitting in the shade, and words of encouragement) she has enough courage to go back in and try again - and makes a huge defensive play which leads to her team scoring.

And here is another big play of hers. I love how she steals the ball from that punk #11. Watch and see why he's a punk. He does that again and I might get myself thrown off of the field ;)

And the grand finale. Way to go Katie!

There's nothing like some sideline love & support. Way to go McKenna.
(who taught you to cheer like that?") :)

I couldn't be a prouder mom. Not because she scored a goal (even though that was AWESOME!) but because she overcame her fear & discouragement and got back in the game. She didn't give up. She learned the importance of sticking with it, not letting her team down, and cheering them on from the sidelines. I am so proud I could cry. Again.

4 comments:

MommyMert said...

Is Brenda Clegg your coach?

Good Job Katie!

Alexa now wants to leave a comment...

fgfffghfgfgyt
gdfgdffdgggdgdff
vgggvhgcgxgfggg

scooping it up said...

i could not hold back the tears. i am so with you. AWESOME. Way to go Katie- so cool!!!

The Wells said...

That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. And McKenna is a GREAT cheerleader!

Dan said...

Awesome post! And what a girl for sticking with it. Something tells me that's the first of many goals for that little girl.