Friday, November 13, 2009

Big Blankie

Big Blankie

I lay down beside you
for your afternoon nap.
It's the only way you will stay
in your bed.
It's a bad habit I want to keep
because soon you'll grow up
and sleep on your own.
I tuck you in.
First, your little blankie
with butterflies.
Then your big blankie.
You ask for your "M"
and giggle when I find it.
I lay down beside you.
I watch you drink your milk
and fight your tired eyes
that roll back behind
your extra long blinks.
I scratch your tummy
like I always have
and then your back.
It's time to sleep now
so I roll away.
"You want some
of my big blankie?" you ask,
as you cover my shoulder
with a corner.
Your tiny body snuggles in my back.
"Mom, can you cuddle?"
Ecah time I smile
and I always say, "Yes."
Soon I hear your long, deep,
sleeping breaths.

Revised version here

3 comments:

scooping it up said...

So sweet. Don't you wish it would never end?

Molly said...

great poem. so so sweet.

Marianne Hopkin said...

Okay, now I am crying.