Saturday, June 07, 2008

Dave has been out of town with the scouts for the past 3 days. He gets home this afternoon and we are very excited for that. I did pretty well flying solo the past few days. However, yesterday I did have a moment when I felt like I wanted to throw my children out the window. Thank goodness for the gym! After naps, when we are usually getting ready for Dad to get home and getting dinner started, I packed the girls in the car and went to the gym. They LOVE the Kids Club at 24 Hour Fitness, and that I get 2 hours to work out, swim, go in the spa, whatever I want. It's a win-win situation for us! So I was able to get my workout in, and since it doesn't last 2 hours and I wanted to get the most out of their time in the Kids Club, I decided to bring my lacrosse stick and play wallball in the basketball gym they have there.

This was the first time in 2 YEARS that I have picked up my stick. That was very sad to me when I realized it had been that long, especially because for years playing lacrosse was my passion and dream. But I was excited to finally pick it up again and I must say it felt WONDERFUL! I felt alive with that stick in my hand and amazed at how it felt like no time had passed since the last time I played. Of course my right hand wasn't as strong and coordinated as it used to be, but it still felt great to have that stick in my hand. I LOVE LACROSSE! I love how I feel when I play - even if it's just wallball. There is a peace and fluidity (is that a word?) that I feel when I play. I love feeling strong, coordinated, and so focused. And I love feeling in my element. It's like in that movie "For The Love of the Game" (great movie by the way) - I feel like I "clear the mechanism" as soon as I start throwing the ball. I can easily forget whatever was stressing me out and I just feel great. Everything in my life seems to make sense in those moments when I play. I love it!

After my 2 hours were up, (which I never wanted to end) I felt recharged and uplifted and ready to be a mom again. Thank you 24 Hour Fitness! This gym membership has been a great thing for us. And I LOVE LACROSSE!

4 comments:

Dan said...

That's a great story. Everyone needs to have some sort of release so they can get back in game with a clear mind.

Julie J. said...

You remind me of Harry and his broom, playing quiditch. I know, I'm a freak show. I can't help it.

scooping it up said...

loved your post. i am not sure if i have something that relaxes me or clears my mind like this. yay on your gym membership and lacrosse, you are so talented meggie.

Molly said...

Soooooooo.... How about you crack out that stick again and come up to park city this weekend and play in the ski-town shootout! Wud da ya say??? let me know... mollycjones@gmail.com