Friday, May 15, 2009

Mothers' Day Tradition

When I was growing up, we had the tradition of going to Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Watertown, MA every Mothers' Day. The cemetery is huge, and full of beautiful landscaping, fountains, statues, and architecture. The blossoms were always at the peak of their bloom on Mothers' Day. We would always go right after church, in our Sunday clothes, spend the afternoon walking through the cemetery, wading in the fountains, and paying our respects to all the dead Moms (and celebrating our own mother too, of course!) She loves the beauty of nature, which made this tradition very fitting for Mothers' Day.
Last year, I requested to start our own tradition of visiting the dead Moms out here in Utah on Mothers' Day. I, like my mother, also love being outside and enjoying a beautiful, relaxing, spring afternoon in the sun. I can't think of a better way to spend and afternoon with my family. And since I get my way on Mothers' Day, to the cemetery we go. My Grandma Hopkin is buried in Orem, so of course we visit her, bring her flowers, and spend some time there. This year was extra special because my parents, brother Brian, and Aunt & Uncle joined us.
And of course, each year we will take a picture of the three Bonitas.
(my middle name is after my Grandma Hopkin's first name, which is also McKenna's middle name - in case you needed clarification)

2 comments:

MommyMert said...

Love the Bonitas in my life! (You really are the only ones I know with such a pretty name.)

Dan said...

That's an awesome post Megan. I wish I could be there to leave some flowers on her grave too. I miss her bran muffins.